Monday, January 30, 2012

First aid tuning

"First aid" tuning, that is how I would call it.

I accidentally mistuned a harmonica while doing the final touches on an Hohner Super Chromonica 270  which I listed for sale on eBay and a bid is already placed.



The problem is I do not know how to tune; I have no tools and  I do not know someone I can run  to for help.  

Fortunately there is the internet and with a bit of luck at improvisation the harmonica is back to correct tuning.  Thanks to "first aid" tuning. 

The harmonica is special because I had it previously customized -  bolts and nuts have replaced the nails and the wooden comb is sealed with Salad bowl finish.  



While working on the comb assembly, making sure the screws are tight,  the screwdriver slipped out of one of screw heads.  (This is the reason why I prefer philips from slotted head.)   I did not know that the wayward screwdriver caused damage to  a reed until I had the harmonica assembled and tested.

I find to my dismay that the six hole draw note, which  was playing properly before disassembling, is now mute and not making any sound at all.  After taking out the cover plate I carefully examined the reed.  I notice the reed is embedded inside the rectangular opening and there is a long scratch mark from one of the screw heads,  which I previously tightened, all the way up to and over the sixth reed.

Carefully the embedded reed is pried out.  I must have given it a hard jolt because as soon as it came out the gap has become much larger than the gap of the adjacent reeds.  Using my smallest jeweler screwdriver I gently push the toe of the reed  back until I see that the gap is just about the same as the other reeds on either side.

After installing the the mouthpiece I draw on the sixth hole.  I  hear a sound, only it seems the note it plays is not F but a little higher than note E.  Was the reed damaged by the accidental scratch from the screwdriver that slipped?  To find out, I had Moonlight Serenade played and my fears are confirmed that the harmonica is indeed out of tune.  In short, the harp is not ready for the bid.  Either I ask eBay or the bidder to cancel the bid, a very embarrassing option, or have the harp tuned within the day, a somewhat impossible task at the moment.

Before panic completely engulfed me, my internet search on tuning how-to brought me to  Angelfire website.  I read that tuning a reed is done by scratching a little metal on the heel to lower the pitch,  or on the toe,  to make the pitch higher.

My next problem:  what tools will I used?  The website is talking about special tools, like the expensive  tool kits from Hohner and Seydel, including a miniature grinder used by jewelers.

As a matter of vain hope I had my small plastic tool box checked for something there that might help.  And my eyes focused on the improvised windsaver remover and reeds plate cleaner.


Actually, these are parts of  a whole piece of one-edged blade which I cut into three pieces with a plier and a hack saw.  They come in sizes from about three-sixteenth of an inch to about half an inch. I made out these improvised tools because they come in very handy when cleaning the reeds plates or removing the windsavers.  I thought one remover with its handle removed can be placed under the reed to support it, while a smaller remover does the scraping of the metal.



I did exactly what the Angelfire website says and guess what?   it worked!

After many scratches followed by tests, the sixth hole finally played the correct F draw note.  How glad I was to know that the work is very simple and not as complicated as I had first imagined.   I have not even used the tuner of my violin-student granddaughter. Of course, this involved only one reed.  Perhaps the complication comes if the work involves a whole set of reeds.

I am very happy because the eBay bid is saved and I am a beneficiary of a new practical knowledge of tuning a harmonica, in the manner of a "first aid".



3 comments:

  1. Greetings Mr. Leynes,

    I very much enjoyed finding your blog while searching the web for advice about how to tune my 64 Chromonica. I'm not very good at it, but find playing it now and then eases my mind after a day's work, but not since the #5 draw got all out of whack a few months ago, and plays very flat.

    I'm also terrible at taking things apart and fixing them.

    Is repair for others something that you do? I live in Boston, and would be happy to ship to you.

    If not, I'll be looking to buy another one, perhaps one you've refurbished?

    My email is:
    sgillis@bellatlantic.net

    Thanks much, and Peace.

    Steve Gillis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve,

    I am very sorry not being able to answer back. I've been very busy doing so many things that I have not had time to visit this sight for quite a time. You'll be receiving an email from me on this matter. Thank you for your interest.

    Virgil

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have very good knowledge about hair care products write something on best skin care and hair care products at good price

    ReplyDelete