Saturday, December 17, 2011

My eBay (Mis)adventure

"You win some, you lose some".

This statement epitomizes my experience in buying through eBay. Still fresh in memory is my first purchase more than 10 years ago of a pair of golf shoes. When the shoes arrived, not only was the other shoe smaller but the pair was both left footed.

The Ioncare Ozone Sanitizer.  I had several good "buys" from eBay.  Apart from the brand new Hero Chromatic and the Hohner Echo Celeste tremolo harmonicas, I had the luck of not purchasing from a non-eBay supplier an Ioncare brand ozone sanitizer for $47.00, which I was able to find in eBay and buy for only $19.95 plus shipping of $9.35.


The sanitizer is one of my earliest purchases from eBay.  It is the first item on my list because I needed to sanitize my harmonicas, including my other personal things like dentures, cell phone, watches, eyeglasses and the like.

So, let me proceed with my first booboo, (yes, this is the second after the shoes).
The Swan 1020 7 set (C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C) diatonic blues Harmonica.  I bought through eBay a set of brand new, made in China Swan 1020 7 set diatonic blues harmonica (keys C,D,E,F,G.A and B) from a company located in Great Britain for 44.99 pounds, plus 15 pounds shipping, or approximately US$98.00.  But before I decided to buy, I had my wife, who was coming over to the U.S. in second week of November, canvassed the item in either Raon or Evangelista street, in Quiapo,  Manila, Philippines,  where all kinds of musical instruments are sold.  My wife would rather not go to the place, and preferred shopping in suburban Makati and Ayala Alabang.  She found an identical item but the price was over $100.  So, she advised me to go ahead and buy what I saw on eBay.


I liked what I received, until I found out later by chance that another British company was selling through Amazon.co.UK the same item for only 21.99 pounds. Rough calculation shows I was priced more than double. I tried to salvage the deal by complaining to the seller about the apparent overprice. I even found out from another eBay supplier that there is a Deluxe model that cost about the same price I paid, but what I got was apparently not the Deluxe model.  Seller refused to recognize my claim and insisted that what he delivered was what was described on eBay.


Here is a picture of a Deluxe model.  Note the difference in packing, labeling - both the harmonicas and the carrying case.  



On the cover plate of the harmonica I bought is engraved: "Swan Harmonica", while on the Deluxe model, it says: "Blues Power Swan Harmonica".

Here is the picture of the carrying case of the model I bought:


And here is the picture of the carrying case of the Deluxe model.  The material, color and   labels are almost identical except that the word "Deluxe" included in the label of the carrying case of this model.



I elevated the case to the eBay buyer protection program, and supported my claim with the fact that seller used the words Deluxe in the item description, and what I received was not what was described, and asked for discount, replacement or a full refund.   Despite the glaring differences bewteen the two models eBay's final judgment favored the Seller.  I surmised that the unfavorable decision must have been influenced by the fact that I had all the time to make a study of the purchase and therefore my complain was a delayed reaction common to those dissatified with a transaction.


Hohner Super Chromonica 270/48 Chromatic C.  I also bought from eBay a used 12-hole Super Chromonica  270 Chromatic from someone I will call seller A. It was advertised to the effect that it was a Christmas gift to his Dad who never played it, but kept it in his drawer.

Here is the picture of the item as advertised on eBay:



The harmonica glowed like shining brass in the picture, perhaps done on purpose with proper lighting effect,   to give the impression that the harmonica is almost like new. I was encouraged to bid at the time when there were already 7 bidders and the current bid was at around $30. Simultaneously, there was an identical model offered by someone I will call seller B which had only two bidders and the amount of the current bid was only $15. I reckoned if I lose in seller A's bidding, I will end up with nothing, so I played safe by placing also a maximum bid of $51 on seller B's. This bid closed earlier and I won it for $44.05 plus $5.50 shipping. On seller A's bidding, I placed a maximum bid of $101, on the basis that the brand new price was over $200, and I won the bid for $61.99 plus $10 shipping.

Now, here comes the bombshell. Seller A's Super Chromonica 270 arrived earlier and immediately I inspected the item. It looked very nice from the outside, the metal covers were shiny, no scratches and the protruding reeds plate, while showing signs of age , appears clean. Then, I took off the mouthpiece and the slider assembly, and while I was unscrewing one of the screws, it was wobbling from side to side. When it had fully come out I found the screw was crooked, like it had a zig and a zag!


I complained to seller A that he misrepresented because if the item was really unused or slightly used, if ever, the screw should not be crooked, and sent him pictures of the crooked screw. I threatened to void the sale and return the item for a full refund, but seller A was hospitalized (at least, according to the email of his son) and I relented and agreed to have replacement screws he offered, which arrived directly from Hohner parts center.  While I was disappointed with the item from seller A, I was overjoyed with the item I received from seller B because it looked almost like new, very much better than seller A's, and cost much less.

The two 12-hole Super Chromonica 270/48 Chromatic C's underwent extensive cleaning, disinfecting with 91% isoprophy alcohol, and sanitized with my ozone sanitizer. When I tested both, the notes from seller B's harmonica sounded more melodious and stable, while that of seller A, one of the notes actually shrills when blowed a little stronger. These two harmonicas will eventually  undergo modification and upgrade - metal polishing, comb sealing and replacement of nails with screws and will be offered in eBay.

Here is a picture showing the two 270s side by side.  Even in this picture, Seller B's harmonica looks newer in comparison to Seller A's.  Note the faded brass metal on both ends of Seller A's, while that of Seller B shows no smudges or fade.  Even the cover plate of Seller B's is more silver that Seller A's.




With all my bad experiences, I did not seem to have learned my lesson. Perhaps the urge comes from the confidence that I could tinker with an old harmonica - clean, sanitize the instrument and upgrade it by replacing the nails with screws; water-proofing and sealing the wooden comb with non-toxic Salad bowl finish,  replacing defective reeds and windsavers, and  retuning.  Someone might ask why I consciously subject myself to suffer all these troubles.  Perhaps, I enjoy and crave the satisfaction of bringing forth the hidden craftmanship  in me, like an artist taking a step backward to appreciate what he has accomplished on canvass,  and seeing that the reconditioned harmonicas will really sell in eBay. So,here I am, still fishing for usable and good Super Chromonicas, and in the process almost always catching some non-edible ones, so to speak.


Hohner 64 Chromonica 280 Chromatic C.  The next "non-edible" I got was a bid I won for a used 16-hole Hohner 64 Chromonica Chromatic 280 harmonica, a more advanced design compared to the Hohner Super Chromonica 270/48 Chromatic. The seller must have been in the pawn shop business judging from his eBay identity and business association and did not know much about harmonicas because the item description he provided in eBay was practically lifted from the description of brand new late model. The word "plastic comb" appeared in the item description, so I was encouraged to bid because I knew I could take off the reeds plates and the plastic comb and do a good cleaning and sanitizing job. And to make sure I was not buying junk, I inquired from seller if there were any visible damage and seller replied "looks good and sounds good." I won the bid for $26 and $9.35 shipping. As soon as it arrived I took off the mouthpiece and slider assembly. I was so disappointed with what I found.



The inside was not only dirty and showed signs of abuse, but more importantly the comb was not plastic but wood, and the hole dividers were warped, some already showing signs of deterioration. I complained to seller who immediately offered  me a full refund, including the cost of  shipping in and out, accompanied by seller's expression of apology and protestation of good faith.

Hohner 64 Chromonica 280 Chromatic C.  The setback in my first attempt to get hold of the more advance 16-hole 64 Hohner Chromonica did not stop me from looking for a really nice piece, and I finally got one.  Shortly after, I won a bid for a used 16-hole Hohner 64 Chromonica 280 chromatic key of C,  for $38.59 plus $7.00 shipping. The harmonica appears slightly used and the inside is very clean. The comb is plastic although the reeds plates are nailed to comb and not screwed, which is the design of the latest version. I am very happy with this purchase because not only is the item slightly used but I could have the nails removed and replaced with screws and give the comb and the reeds plates a thorough cleaning and sanitizing job, which means upgrading the harmonica to premium class.


However, I cannot do it yet because I have not received my order for 2 mm x 16 mm screws, which I intend to use on all my upgrades.  In the meantime,  I have already tested  the tiny 5 mm screws on one of my 270/48 (the better screw size is 1 mm x 16 mm, but I have searched all over and cannot find a supplier).  I prefer the longer screws that thread to the opposite reeds plate because in this design the comb is clamped or sandwiched between two plates and any warp movement of the wood will likely be minimized.  Using  tiny 5 mm screws that thread halfway through the wooden comb and coming from opposite directions has the tendency of creating a pull pressure on the comb, which could contribute to warping.

Hohner Super Chromonica 270 Chromatic G.  Still the itch to buy from eBay does not seem to subside. Just two days ago ,  I sent an email to a seller of a Hohner chromatic 270/48 key of G, which I won for $23.10 and $3.08 shipping, complaining that the wooden comb is cracked and is very likley split in two, which renders the harmonica practically unusable.

The crack can be clearly seen in the following pictures.

 


When seller did not reply after two emails, I told seller that I intend to void the sale and demand a full refund including the shipping cost, saying further that seller can pick up the harmonica, or I can have it shipped, but seller has to send me in advance the shipping cost. Seller, apparently a "she",  replied that she just got out of the hospital and has not read my emails, and asked to be given 24 hours to study the whole thing.

After lapse of a day and half, I needed to prod her again with another email, and she came back with a statement that the published return policy is for the buyer to submit photos of the damaged item in order to claim a refund.  I pointed out that two photos of the defective harmonica was already sent to her in my second email as attachments.  Anyway, I resent the photos and seller confirmed receipt, but saying further the photos will be compared to the one published in eBay, and denies there was a crack  when the item was packed.   We were unable to resolve anything because seller excused herself for a doctor's appointment, while I tried to put across a request to settle the problem no later than tomorrow, to which she did not say a word.

Seller came back and offered to refund half of the price.  I countered two-thirds saying the harmonica is not usable and is good only for parts.  She refused and said she will just follow the procedure on returns where she is obligated only to refund the price, making me absorb both the inward and return shipping cost.  I opened a case with the eBay customer support and the following day the seller offered full refund including inward shipping which I readily accepted.  She said she is not giving the return shipping money and I can keep the harmonica or throw it away.

The harmonica is still with me and I am at a loss to decide how the cracked comb should be repaired.  The damage seems to be unrepairable because if I try a match-fitting the smaller half angles upward and will surely pose seating problem to the mouthpiece and slider assembly.  On the other hand, if I follow the straight line of the base of the comb, I need to glue filler wood on the third hole and the result is it will be wider than the rest of the holes and will surely impact on the quality of the sound.  I have not started working on this cracked comb until I am positive the repair job will work.



1 comment:

  1. Mmm, if I may say. The lesson I learnt from hij is: never buy an harmonica on e-bay! Agree?? Unless youre allowed to open it before buying! I was looking tot a chromo on e-bay but...... Thnx!

    ReplyDelete